JSC “Sea port of Saint-Petersburg” (SP SPb) puts special emphasis on the nature protection activities. In order to ensure high ecological standards and to preserve favorable environment the company uses the latest scientific and technical developments for reduction of adverse effect of the enterprise on environment of the adjacent territories.
The ecological policy of SP SPb is formed in accordance with the strategy of the company on ensuring of ecological safety.
Main principles of ecological policy:
• responsibility of the companies to the society for the state of environment;
• carrying out of special measures ensuring environmental safety of the production and decreasing its adversive impact on the environment;
• observance of the requirements of environmental legislation of RF;
• use of innovative technologies in construction, reconstruction and operation of infrastructure;
• efficient use of natural resources and production wastes;
• use of methods of environmental control and monitoring.
Basing on principles of ecological policy the company sets the following goals:
• minimize adversive impact on the environment during handling operations;
• secure accomplishing of environmental measures;
• observe the standards of quality of air at the border of sanitary protection zone.
The company carries out the set of measures aimed at air, land and water protection: provides the systematic control of fulfillment of norms and requirements of the environmental and sanitary legislation, monitors the quality of the surface sewage waters and air, controls the volumes of wastes and the frequency of their removal, constructs local water treatment facilities.
In 2019 SP SPb transferred 78.8 mln rubles for environmental campaign.
SP SPb monitors constantly composition and volumes of air emissions, monitors air at the production areas and at the territories adjacent to the enterprise. In 2012 the company completed modernization of heat supply facility of the port which allowed to stop the use of oil-fired boiler houses and to decrease emissions into atmosphere. Besides, amount of emissions from sources under control do not exceed maximum exposure limits.
SP SPb monitors constantly the use of water protection and shore areas. To decrease the adverse effect from discharge of sewage waters all the new facilities which are constructed within the development programme of the company are equipped by the local water treatment facilities. Within 5 years the volumes of waste waters decreased by 32%.
Production activities of the port is inevitably connected with wastes generation. Thorough waste management allows to recover wastes which didn’t lose its consumption properties and it saves the company substantial funds and minimizes damage for environment. As a result of optimization of production processes and modernization of technical equipment of the company the volumes of wastes decreased by 30% within 5 years.